Thursday, September 5, 2013

To start

Dear Sarah,

18 years was not long enough to teach you all the things I wanted you to know.  Maybe if I  had done a better job while you were here, I could have fit it all in.  But then there are stories and lessons that you didn't really need before now.  

The one thing I worry about the most is did we teach you how to have a happy marriage?  It makes all the difference.  You can have a good life without one, but with one . . . nothing compares.   Your father heals my heart daily.  His presence and his love have made my life beautiful.  My fondest wish for you is that you find someone to love you the way your Daddy loves me.

So here is this.  A letter a week about marriage.  I know, you're just 18 and you have a few years before you need to worry about it.  The thing is, there is a lot to say.   I intend to talk about dating, love, conflict resolution, and speaking your mind. But really I'm going to share the secret to a happy marriage.  It's really simple:

Speak up.
Shut up.

The secret is learning when to do which.   That's what these letters are about.

Love you.  Miss you.

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment